St. Patrick's Prayer

For most people, St. Patrick's Day is a time to celebrate everything Irish - from four-leaf clovers, to pots o' gold, to making sure you wear your green and don't get pinched! Sadly, though, many people do not know the story behind the real St. Patrick - a man who gave his life to bringing the hope of Jesus to the mostly pagan country of Ireland. Patrick  was born in A.D. 389 to Christian parents in what is now known as Scotland. He did not, however, embrace his parents' faith and walked a foolish path in his young years. At the age of fifteen, he was kidnapped by Irish pirates and brought to Ireland where he worked as a slave for the next six years. During that time, God moved on his hard heart, and he surrendered to the Lord. Sometime later, he was able to escape from his slavery and return to his family. Not long after that, however, he felt God's call to go back to Ireland - this time as a missionary to the people who had treated him so harshly. For the next thirty years, Patrick would dedicate himself to teaching people the Gospel of Jesus. He would help to start over two hundred new churches and baptize thousands of new Christians in the faith. In short, St. Patrick is not only one of the most influential people in Irish history but in church history as well! Toward the end of his life, Patrick would write a beautiful prayer that is now known as "St. Patrick's Breastplate." On this day, in remembrance of this remarkable man and his service to God and to the world, I share with you an excerpt from that prayer:

"…I arise today through God's strength to pilot me:
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me, 
God's way to lie before me,
God's host to save me…"

I pray that this may be true…not just today, but every day of the year! 

Comments