Anywhere At Anytime

 The other night I had the privilege of talking to a friend of mine that I have not spoken to in almost two years. We met in the summer of 2013 while he was visiting Alaska and playing for the summer baseball team in my community. As we talked about the first conversation we had, he shared with me something I did not know at the time: he had really been struggling for months prior to his trip to Alaska and had just begun to step out of a dark period in his life. Questions about his faith and life purpose had raged in his mind, and he found himself on a collision course with truth. He had choices to make. He had to decide if he would dare to believe in a God that had so drastically altered his personal plans. It was during this crucial time of decision that our meeting took place. As I would discover, it was divinely-orchestrated. In my mind, I was merely being friendly and extending Alaskan hospitality. But I learned later that, in sharing my life-story with this young baseball player, my journey to grace would deeply impact his own. I was blown away by what he shared with me a few days ago, and it caused me to reflect on an obvious, yet powerful truth: we can touch the lives of others anywhere at anytime.
 In looking back at that brief conversation a year and a half ago, I realized that it took place at a time when I was not in the best of health or spirits. I was struggling also. But God spoke through my weakness. See, this is the beauty of a life lived in Grace: we don't have to be perfect in order for His perfection to work through us; we don't have to be at our best for Him to be at His best! God can use us in any condition, even our broken one, if we are willing and open to Him. That day in 2013, I didn't expect that my sharing would help this young man to grow closer to God in such profound ways. But I am humbled…because I know this is how God works. And I love it!

Comments