More Pleasing

 I sit in church and listen as the pastor speaks. My eyes fall on the page of ancient words in front of me. Worn with use, my Bible lies open on my lap and I read,

" I will praise the name of God with a song, 
and will magnify him with thanksgiving."
(Psalm 69:30)

 The previous verses drip with hopelessness and sorrow and yet the praise, the sacrifice of thanksgiving, is present. The verse below it says that this hard-thanks is more pleasing to God than anything. I run my fingers across the page, and it hits me: It is the thanklessness that kills. It is the ingratitude that destroys. The minute I allow the murmuring, the complaining, to begin, that is when it turns wrong. I step out of the Grace-life. I begin to live the lie first spoken by Eve - "He is not enough." 
  The world is filled with evidences of His love. It moves to the rhythm of His amazing grace. Everywhere I look, it speaks of Him. And yet, I still under-appreciate. At times, I refuse to see it for what it is: His gift. 
  According to many, this is the season of thanksgiving. To me, however, it is a way of life. I need the thankfulness every single day. Because thankfulness brings joy. Thankfulness brings hope. Thankfulness allows me to see and appreciate the grace moments. These are the times when I see God.
  I look out the window of the church. Sunshine is breaking through the morning fog. So, too, in my soul, the Light is chasing away the darkness. The gratitude is bringing me closer to Grace. Closer to God. Not just for a season but for a lifetime. 

Comments