Shades of the Past

  "...We wait for light, but behold obscurity; for brightness, but we walk in darkness. We grope for the wall like the blind, and we grope as if we had no eyes: we stumble at noonday as in the night; we are in desolate places as dead men."
                      - Isaiah 59:9-10

   The cloud-fog hangs low and despairing over the world outside. Deep and sinking, it shrouds the mountains that stand so tall and imposing. Even more, it hides the light so needed. No warmth. Just grey nothing...just masked emptiness. So, too, is the inner soul. The soul is trapped in the hallow loneliness of hiding. The darkness follows. Night or day, it is forever invading the supposed peace one thinks they have. The shadows linger on with no light to break them...waiting for Light, beholding obscurity. Stumbling continuously. Treading in "desolate places" like the dead. This is a life-less existence. This is the broken purpose.
  But, into these penetrating clouds, into this darkness, appears a hope. Intent on finding a way to rescue, to give sight, to bring illumination, comes the Savior. He in whom there is no darkness, steps into our own without fear. Life approaches the nearly dead. Bringing an offering of joy and life-abundant is the One who saves eternal. In Him, the obscurity vanishes, our sight returns, and we become resurrected. We become alive!


   The fog breaks, and the warm rays of the sun drive it running. The mountain grandeur returns, and all becomes clear. Apart from the promise that the God I need (even when I resist it) will find a way to reach me where I am is what keeps me from returning to those shades of my past. He is what holds me back. I realize that my deliverance is when I am defeated. This groping about, this wandering, led me to the foot of the cross. And while I regret my years of hiding, of running from His love, I do not regret that I ended up at surrender. And the love that drew this fearful soul out won't let me go until its work is completed. I am God's beloved. All has turned to light. To His Light. Now the blind sees. And darkness no longer reigns.

Comments