Tuned To Grace

"At present while I write a harpsichord is tuning in my ears which does not at all help my invention [imagination]. Methinks I may compare myself to a harpsichord, how often in tuning, how seldom in tune, and how soon put out of tune again. My imagination, in particular, as an instrument, which seems not in my own power. Happy am I, when it is under gracious influence. But at times, it seems as if an evil genius had command of the keys. Then I am tortured with a medley of folly, discord and confusion, from which I cannot run, nor can I stop my ears against it, for it is within me. Wonderful is the grace that can cause the voice of joy and melody to be heard, when but a little before, all was disorder and distress. If the Lord appears, the storm is hush, and calm succeeds..."
              - John Newton (in a letter to William Wilberforce)

Comments