A Soldier's Wish

 Let's remember all those who are deployed and away from their families and homes this Christmas. Today, I share with you a poem that I wrote many years ago in their honor...

A Soldier's Wish

A Christmastime, the heart goes home,
And loved ones father near
To celebrate the season's joy
With friends who are so dear.
But this year, I won't be there
'Cuz my duty's called me here;
There's no snow or sounds of Christmas
To gently soothe my ear;
But I have plans to travel home,
Though not by plane or car -
I am going home for Christmas
Though, from friends, I am so far.
I will still be there in spirit,
Far away as it might seem;
I am going home for Christmas
If only in a dream.

There will be no pie, no Christmas tree,
No sounds of Christmas mirth,
No gaiety or creche displayed
To honor Jesus' birth.
But, in my heart, I've made a place
For Christ to feel at home,
Though I'm always on my gun
And have so far to roam.
I am treasuring the memories,
Though, from them, I'm apart;
I am going home for Christmas
If only in my heart.

Though we are separated, friends,
Go on and toast the season,
For I'll be there, and this we know,
That Jesus is the reason.
I'll hear your songs, your laughter too,
And in my heart I'll say,
"I am going home for Christmas,
Though I'm miles far away."


* copyright 2005 Katherine Singer

Comments