Search This Blog

Friday, October 16, 2015

The Beauty of Repentance

"Guilt and shame always say that there is no hope, but the sorrow that comes with repentance told me that hope is all I have…I confuse grief and sadness with shame and hopelessness, when it's necessary that I sit in grief. The sadness is hard but important along a journey of hope. When I bypass repentance's sorrow, the sadness turns to despair. Repentance is a sorrow toward one's own sin, a recognized need, and a change of heart. Repentance is the turning point, a place of very active transformation and also a place of release…
Repentance is not living in heaped-up shame…It isn't about how much I give away or how much I'm willing to suffer. Rather repentance is the grieving of something lost or something that feels wasted; it's the recognition that you chased other desires when you could've had God - your satisfaction - all along. 
There is sorrow that comes in repentance, but it's a comforting kind of sorrow that brings rest and release."
                                 - Amber Haines in Wild In the Hollow