Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Quote of the Day

"I've always believed in God, just not enough to trust him with my whole life...I knew God could fulfill his promises, but I was never sure he'd do it for me. My selfish Christian Atheist view was that God existed for me, rather than I for him. If he'd do what I thought he should, I'd trust him more. If he'd come through for me, I'd give him more of my life. If he made my life better and pain-free, I'd believe him more passionately. But anytime God didn't meet my expectations, we had a problem. God created me in his image. I returned the favor and created him in mine. The kind of God I wanted to believe in was this: if he's not what I want, then he can't have my whole life.
 Several years ago, I increasingly recognized inconsistencies between what I claimed to believe and the way I actually lived...If I truly belonged to Christ, I should surrender my whole life to him. I just gave him parts instead, and took them back whenever he didn't do what I wanted. I called myself a Christian, but I lived like an atheist. The more honest I became, the more I hated living faithlessly, and the more I craved intimacy with God. 'Whatever it takes' became my heart's cry. Whatever it takes to know him. Whatever it takes to love eternity more than this world. Even if I have to fight, scrape, and crawl away from my Christian Atheism into a genuine, crucified life of faith and radical obedience to Christ, I'll do whatever it takes."
                                    - Craig Groeschel in The Christian Atheist