Quote of the Day

"Our different posts are, as you observe, by the Lord's wise appointment; and therefore must be best for us respectively. Mine is full of trials and difficulties; indeed, I should soon make sad work of it without His continual help, and should have reason to tremble every moment, if He did not maintain in me in humble confidence, that He will help me to the end. He bids me, 'fear not;' and at the same time He says, 'Happy is the man that feareth always.' How to fear, and not to fear at the same time, is, I believe, one branch of that secret of the Lord which none can understand but by the teaching of His Spirit. When I think of my own heart, of the world, of the powers of darkness, what cause of continual fear: I am on an enemy's ground, and cannot move a step but some snare is spread for my feet. But, when I think of the person, grace, power, care, and faithfulness of my Savior, why may I not say, 'I will trust and not be afraid, for the Lord of hosts is with us, the God of Jacob is our refuge!' I wish to be delivered from anxious and unbelieving fear, which weakens the hands, and disquiets the heart. I wish to increase in a humble jealousy and distrusts of myself, and of everything about me; I am imperfect in both respects, but I hope my desire is to Him who has promised to do all things for me."
              - John Newton

Comments