Praying-In Christmas

 If I'm being honest, I wanted to put up the Christmas tree in August. 

I've been willing the season here for months now. Wanted to see and feel all things silent night and holy. To sense "peace on earth" and "goodwill among men" for even just awhile. To break out the carols and sing of hope. To spin grace out of this dark we've all been living through and bring Heaven a little closer as the joy of the season makes its way into homes and hearts. 

Somehow, Christmas always seems to call in love and kindness when we most need it. Everyone is a bit nicer to their neighbor, sweeter to their friend, a bit more thoughtful of the Savior whose grace has no end. We tend to slow a bit at the holidays - take time to reflect on the closing of another year and how we've all still been kept through everything and that the baby whom Mary held in her arms so long ago now holds us all in His own arms, safe and secure. 

As passions raged and fires burned and our world was practically brought to its knees, I've seen more falling on their own knees, praying-in mercy from the One who cared enough to send His only Son as a cure for all this broken. 

And while it all shook and our lives were upended, I kept on thinking of Christmas. How, perhaps for even the shortest time, a bit of Him might fall on all of us. That the season might restore a little something of His blessing in a year where we're all most crying for it. We are the weary world longing to rejoice in a hope, a light greater than all of this. 

I feel like we need Christmas more than ever this time. For in this year, we've all suffered. The pain has not been individual but collective. And our world's desperation has never been more evident. We've struggled to see God with us as it's all appeared more like His absence than His presence. 

But the days before His coming were dark too. Remember that hundreds of years had gone by with no word from Heaven. The earth waited for a promise they'd been told was coming and you've got to believe they doubted it would. Just as we've had our share of days recently, wondering if things will ever get better. And yet, God was still planning. Still working. 

The silence of my Jesus in the darkest moments is no sign that He has gone forever. He is just orchestrating the next move, asking for my patience while He works.

As in ancient times, God is aware that we need Him today. He is sending help, even as we await its arrival. The miracle of Christmas is that Emmanuel followed through. He said He would arrive, and He did. While not everyone received His appearance, He did not fail to come as He promised. And He will not, cannot fail now. 

I'm praying-in this season because I am running on empty. I need to be surrounded by all the things that remind me that "the King of Kings lay thus in lowly manger, in all [my] sorrows born to be [my] Friend." He is no stranger to my weakness or my need. And He is no stranger to the pains of this fallen world. As He sits in Heaven, He sees it all, and He hears the desperate pleas for rescue. He hears the cries for healing for our land. For the saving of all our hearts. 

I'm throwing myself into all things Christmas because I'm throwing myself on the mercy of Jesus, who came in the most humble way imaginable to be the ultimate Savior of the earth. I welcome Christmas because I welcome Jesus. And I pray you welcome Him, too. 

Comments