Quote of the Day

"At present it is January with me, both within and without. The outward sun shines and looks pleasant; but his beams are faint, and too feeble to dissolve the frost. So it is in my heart; I have many bright and pleasant beams of truth in my view, but cold predominates in my frost-bound spirit, and they have but little power to warm me. I could tell a stranger something about Jesus that would perhaps astonish him: such a glorious person! Such wonderful love! Such humiliation! Such a death! And then what He is now in Himself, and what He is to His people! What a sun! What a Shield! What a Root! What a Life! What a Friend! My tongue can run upon these subjects sometimes; and could my heart keep pace with it, I should be the happiest fellow in the country. Stupid creature! to know these things so well, and yet be no more affected with them! Indeed I have reason to be upon ill terms with myself! It is strange that pride would ever find anything in my experience to feed upon; but this completes my character for folly, vileness, and inconsistence, that I am not only poor, but proud; and though I am convinced I am a very wretch, and nothing before the Lord, I am prone to go forth among my fellow creatures as though I were wise and good...Pray for me, that the Lord may teach me to serve Him better."
               - John Newton

Comments