Heaven

 I've been doing lots of thinking about Heaven lately.

Although the year is still quite young, I've already had reason to contemplate eternity in a very raw and real way. If you've been reading my most recent posts, you'll already know that 2019 has seen death take three friends suddenly and three others lives currently hang in the balance. 

As I've attended two memorial services and prepare myself for, most likely, a few more... I realize that, as a believer, I ought to be giving far more attention to the things of eternity than I do. As I get wrapped up in each sorrow, as I deal with each loss, I am far too prone to hang on longer than I should, to want more than has been given, to fight change rather than accept it. On a daily basis, the cares and concerns of earth occupy way more of my attention than preparing myself for Heaven. And of this, I am ashamed. Perhaps you feel the same. 

Dwelling on death can suck the life right out of you, so our existences aren't made to be used up in this endless race against impending finality. Christ wants us to live fully. However, if we don't live with eternity in view, we will miss our very calling in this world: to spend our one life well so that death becomes the beginning of all we've really hoped and prepared for. So that death is merely a crossing over - not an end. 

When you live with the realization that your one life is all you've got...that you have just one chance to live this journey... just maybe you're driven to use it differently. Instead of using it to get ahead, using it to lag behind for what really matters. Instead of seeing it as a race against time, seeing it as all the made-up little moments of wonder, all the workings of Providence in your life that come together some day to make up the story of you. A story that you're still living out today. 

One day, the last chapter in your story will be written and all that will be left is what was. But you're not there yet. Which means you have the ability to choose how it's written from here on out. While the ultimate storyline is God's, there are choices in each day that you make that affect the story's ending. Choosing to brave the hard things instead of running away. Choosing to love well, even if it means you're not loved in return. Choosing to have faith when fear seems like the easier option. Choosing to slow down and breathe thanks when the world just keeps trying to push you to drive on harder, to burn out.


As I've sat and listened to others talk recently about these friends who have passed of late, it's occurred to me that a real Gospel-centered life always lives with eternity in view. All trials, challenges, events, and decisions are seen through the perspective of our eventual victory. This earth isn't all there is. We know this, but we too often don't use that as reason for us to hope. At least, I know that I don't. I just see life playing out. And I'm not always looking to the assured outcome of eternal rest and never-ending worship.

All the recent illnesses, goodbyes, and sad partings have made me long for a day when God will wipe away all tears and these sorrows will be no more. Our hearts will no longer break over things that are the result of a fallen world. For those who know Christ, there will come a time when all of this will be finished forever, and we can find that endless peace we've spent our whole lives longing for. And, when things get tough here, shouldn't we be comforting one another with these words? 

Until then, there is still life to be lived and work for God yet to be done. Day by day, God gives us the strength and the breath to carry out His mission in the world. Let's just remember, though, to keep our final destination in view so that we run our race with expectation and hope. That, while we yet sorrow, we don't sorrow as those who have no hope but continue to press toward the finish where we'll obtain the lasting joy we've always wanted.


Comments