Light On A Dark Road

 I read my devotions and my eyes fall on John 8:12. This one verse says it all for me. This verse explains my journey. There is a reason why it became my life-verse a few years ago. In reading it once again, I come to see a great truth:

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said,
I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me
will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

 I realize that He never promised the road wouldn't be dark. If anything, He said that those who follow Him would suffer and experience hardship (John 16:33). But He did promise those same followers that they would not walk in darkness because they carry His light within them! Oh…now the meaning strikes me with clarity: when I walk in darkness and it is more than just a mere passing through the valley of the shadow, I must ask myself if I am following truly. When the light has gone out, when the belief has disappeared, perhaps I am not to blame the circumstances, only to blame my own lack of sight. Maybe much of the soul-darkness that comes over isn't the fault of something else, only my failure to look for Him. To seek and to walk with Him faithfully. If He is my light, my guiding point and the illumination of my path, the only darkness that can hide His light is my own sin. It hits me deep, this profound truth. And I beg His forgiveness. I ask for the Light to return because "in Him is no darkness at all" (1 John 1:5). I have so often been the darkness. Caught in the deception of my own mis-leading thoughts and feelings, I obscure and block the Sun of my soul from penetrating with its warmth and life-giving rays. On my knees, I pray it simply and humbly: 

"Sun of my soul, Thou Savior dear,
It is not night if Thou be near;
Oh, may no earth-born cloud arise
To hide Thee from Thy servant's eyes."

 If I follow Thee truly, precious Lord, Thy light shines unhindered and unhidden. Oh grant me this light of life that my darkness may be swallowed up in Thy glorious victory! 

Comments